Kowai Sugoi Studios
Press / Business contact:
Kowai Sugoi Studios is a duo of necromancers from the Great White North. From the beginning, we've been re-animating our favourite genres of gaming's past, using the magic of modern game development tools and technology. We break down games from across the ages into the parts that make them work, and use those to create magnificient Frankenstein's monsters. Driving this is a deep love for classic games, and a particular soft spot for old-school adventure games.
Kowai Sugoi Games had its beginnings in October 2016 with "Cozy": a short puzzle horror game about being locked out of your car in the Canadian wilderness. The game was an unexpected hit, winning second place in the Pixel Horror Game Jam, reaching over 6,000 downloads and an impressive 1.6 million views on YouTube playthroughs. The game was covered by a slew of Let's Players, including Markiplier. At this point, we sat down in a truck stop diner, looked at each other and said: "Well, if we can make something like this in a month, what can we do in a year?".
Enter our latest game, Shiver, slated to be released Fall 2017. Shiver takes the core ideas of Cozy and expands on them, with a fresh narrative, high-fidelity art, and an even-more-immersive atmosphere. Shiver will debut on Valve's new Steam Direct platform, and will be the studio's first commercial release.
Shiver takes place in the early 1990’s, away from mobile phones and the Internet. You take on the role of a son seeking to visit his father in a retirement home in the far north of British Columbia, Canada. On the way, you find yourself stranded in the strangely abandoned Windy Oaks National Park: a new park founded on land donated by the Samstone Mining Company as an act of goodwill after a catastrophic sinkhole accident. Using your wits and tenacity you must figure out a way to contact help and escape, before the park consumes you.
Inspired by classic point-and-click adventures, Shiver brings you chilling and immersive gameplay. As you explore the closed-down Windy Oaks National Park, you must be prepared to use the items you find in your snowy environment to problem-solve your way through a variety of challenges. Spanning the course of one captivating hour, you will attempt to unravel the mysteries of the park and escape with your body intact.Quick points:
- Atmospheric point-and-click puzzle-horror game
- Kowai Sugoi Studios' first commercial release
- Planned debut in late October 2017
- Designed to be played in a single gaming session
- Art constructed through a combination of painting and photography
- Set in the Canadian wilderness, near where the developers grew up
- Spiritual successor to Cozy
- Built in the Unity Engine
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "2nd Place - Pixel Horror Game Jam 2016" - For Cozy.
Graham Hutchison (@AquilusLupus)
Lead Programmer, Designer
Evan Crows (@evancrows)
Lead Artist, Designer
Ask us about:
- Being a new indie studio despite the so-called "indiepocalypse"
- Finding work when your hometown's economy has hit a rough patch
- Releasing on Steam Direct
- The massive impact that Let's Play Channels have on a game's popularity
- Staying warm in winter